I've been obssessed with Facebook this past week for some reason. I've been adding alot of 'friends' and joining causes and groups. I think it's a reflection of me not having a real social life, and that I spend too much time on the computer. (Like right now) Although I have met up with some old friends and talked with them a little. I will be going to dinner on Friday with an old mission buddy I haven't seen for a couple of years, so I guess Facebook has some positives. (as I justify my time spent on the computer) So if you every want to get ahold of me, just check Facebook, I'll probably be there.
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Feb 4th 2009
So I've been reading these books by Malcolm Galdwell - Tipping Point, Blink and his latest Outliers. They are kind of pop psychology type of books, but very interesting in their own right. The author does a very good job of examining different social issues and then giving reasons and solutions on why these issues exist. Such as how the month or year that you are born can influence your success in life, (and it's not a astrology answer) and how ethnicity and culture were the cause of so many plane crashes in the 80's and 90's. He does a great job explaining and presenting evidence as to how his thesis are accurate. At the very least, Mr. Gladwell is able to help someone think outside of the box as well as to look for ideas and solutions where you wouldn't even think to look. I've enjoyed his books and look forward to his next one. He is also a writer for the New Yorker and has submitted some equally interesting articles there. My favorite is the comparison of teachers and football QB's and how their jobs are similar. This was explored in his article 'Most Likely to Succeed'.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment