Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Back to Investigating

After 11 months of being on the training team at the Division of Child and Family Services (DCFS), due to the budget cuts - I was moved back to casework. More specifically, Child Protective Services Investigations. There are good things and bad things about casework and so far so good.
I really enjoyed the training team and I was starting to hit my stride, I thought, in being able to stand up in front of a group of people and start teaching/sharing new concepts with them. I had a lot to learn still, but felt I was getting there. Nevertheless, changes were made that I had no control over.
Still, I feel that I learned alot while on the training team and was able to learn and study different interviewing techniques that have helped me now that I am back doing actual casework. I have to make the transition from understanding the concepts to actually putting them into practice on an everyday basis. It's definately a transition for me.
Now for the past 7 years that I did casework, it took an emotional toll on me dealing with other people's problems and trying to help them change their lives. In looking back, I could tell that I dealt with it poorly adn was not very happy with my job after awhile. This time around, even though it's only been a month and a half, I have been able to feel a difference. The biggest difference has been excercising on a regular basis. Being able to go to the gym, lift weights and run, have made a big difference. It feels good to be able to work out all the feelings of frustration and get the endorphins flowing!
So it's back to Investigations for me and trying to keep Utah's kids safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment